If you are wondering about the “Site Directory Sit Template” in SharePoint 2010, then follow this blog post to use this feature onto your Share Point Server.
Actually, this feature is made Hidden by Intentionality for upgrade purpose from Share Point Server 2003 to 2010, and you need to make this feature visible and than activate for your specific web site.
Follow these steps to get rid of Hidden Directory Site Template Feature.
1. Open C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\TEMPLATE\1033\XML
2. Open webtempsps.xml for Eidt
3. Find section for “Site Directory” and change Hidden value
<Configuration ID="0" Title=”Site Directory” Type=”0″ Hidden=”FALSE” ImageUrl=”/_layouts/1033/images/template_site_dir.png” Description=”A site for listing and categorizing important sites in your organization. It includes different views for categorized sites, top sites, and a site map.” DisplayCategory=”Enterprise” VisibilityFeatureDependency=”5F3B0127-2F1D-4cfd-8DD2-85AD1FB00BFC”>
4. After that open command prompt and browse to
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\BIN
5. Activate the feature ” SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure” onto your site (if not activated earlier)
6. Run following commaned:
stsadm.exe -o activatefeature -id 5F3B0127-2F1D-4cfd-8DD2-85AD1FB00BFC –url http://yoursite
After these steps, go to your site and Create a new site using Site Directory Site Template, it is there now :-).
Useful Information, Rate It.